Thursday 10 November 2016

Cappoquin Gardens, Waterford, Ireland


Over the half term holiday we managed our first family holiday with all 4 of us together in six years and we headed off to Ireland.  I have family there so in between introducing Simon and the boys to my aunts, uncle and cousins we also managed to fit in plenty of sightseeing.  Cappoquin Gardens in Co Waterford were one of the few gardens still open in October and it looked like we picked a perfect autumn day to visit.

Cappoquin House was built in the 18th century on the site of an old castle.  Its imposing Georgian Manor is also open to the public at certain times but we only wanted to visit the gardens ... which besides the gardener we had to ourselves.  A leaflet detailed what each part of the garden was used for or represented but we actually enjoyed just walking along its grassy paths through areas of woodland, herbaceous borders and shrubberies all exhibiting their delightful autumn colours.

For anyone like me who is rather fond of hydrangeas this garden was a veritable treasure trove of pinks, blues and whites:





There were plenty of other flowers still in bloom too:





The herbaceous borders and shrubberies may not have had the same vibrancy as in the summer but they had a gentle and warm feel to them ... and the gardener we spoke to said we were lucky to go when we did as the perennials were due to be cut back for winter any day soon.



Gorgeous autumn leaf colours we seen throughout.  The house itself was magnificent in its robe of ruby Virginia Creeper and the green lawns were strewn with fallen leaves.


 

We enjoyed Cappoquin on a warm, still day in late October.  The mild weather of the autumn was evident in this magnolia bud - I hope the Irish winter is kind and it survives through to spring.


Practicalities


Location: Cappoquin Gardens, Cappoquin, Co. Waterford, Ireland
Tel: 00353 87 6704 180
Website: Cappoquin House
Gardens open all year - 10am to 4pm (closed Sundays)
House opening times: please refer to website
Entry: €5 per person, children free
Dogs not permitted.

Cappoquin Gardens are not huge but we spent a very enjoyable couple of hours there.  If you ever find yourself in  this part of Ireland I do recommend a visit.

Linking up with Annie Spratt and How Does Your Garden Grow.

14 comments :

  1. What a treat to find in October. I think it has been so mild this autumn that there is still plenty of colour about in gardens along with some stunning autumn leaves. I love the red of the Virginia Creeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Ness. We had Virginia Creeper on our farmhouse when I was young and I loved it ... until the day of the first good autumn storm and then poof, overnight it was gone!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it was a good thing you visited when you did :) I'm surprised to see hydrangeas with buds at this time of year. Ours are well past their best now. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the Irish climate is generally milder than much of the UK or France.

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh lovely! I've been thinking about going to Ireland for a while now, this is tempting me even more :)

    Hydrangea love, they seem to be getting a second wind (I'm not complaining!)
    The house with the creeper is beautiful - oh to be the lady of an Irish Manor! I've having a Mr Darcy moment aren't I?!

    Thanks for joining in again Rosie, I hope all is well your end xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe don't go in winter if you want gardens though, as a lot were closed, even in October.

      Delete
  4. so beautiful! great shots. have never been to Ireland but it has been brought up in conversation lately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only been once before despite having family there - it is a truly beautiful country.

      Delete
  5. the hydrangeas are lovely and the lawn looks really thick and ready for winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you don't see many lush lawns like this in Dubai ;)

      Delete
  6. When I was researching my family tree I discovered that one side of my family came from Ireland and my ancestor was a head gardener on a grand estate - I'd love to visit there one day and this has made me think of it. Lovely autumn pictures, how lovely to be in Ireland in the autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful thing to find out. Which grand estate was it and at what time. I believe those working in big houses escaped the worst ravages of the potato famine as they were fed by their employers.

      Delete
  7. Ah what a lovely place - and lovely to get away together as a family too - is that a burgundy thistle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I don't know so off to Google it before I hit publish ....

      Yes - I think it was - Cirsium rivulare 'Atropurpureum'. Not a flower I had seen before and so pretty.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.