Thursday 22 September 2016

As Summer melts into Autumn


As summer slowly melts into autumn, the spiders have once again been busy creating their intricate webs.  Nature's morning breath shows them off at their very best.






In my pumpkin patch the leaves are beginning to die back.  Hidden from view all through the summer it is a time of expectation as the harvest below is revealed ... and a nervous waiting game.  The longer they are left the more they mature and so the better they store but with waiting comes the risk from frost, pests and this year, splitting.   Some of the butternut squashes have done just that, no doubt as a result of the rain that finally fell last week so these will be eaten quickly.  We are not yet in soup weather but there are plenty of other ways to enjoy what is one of my favourite vegetables.  How do you like yours?

 





Farewell to an English Country Garden


Finally a few pictures from my Mum's garden on Exmoor.  The house will soon be sold consigning it to my box memories - drinks on the steps, the boys hurtling full pelt round and round the house and that view.  The year may be fading but this garden and house is about to start a new stage in its life.  I wish its new owners all the best.







This is a HYDGG production in association with Annie at Mammasaurus.

6 comments :

  1. Those pumpkins and squashes, I just love that when you finally see the harvest and the slightly prickly leaves go all yellow. I must get to my plot this weekend to see how the pumpkins are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have finally harvested mine and will blog about it later ...

      Delete
  2. It's a lovely time of year, one of my favourites. We cut the leaves away from our squashes so they could make the most of the last of the sun, following Monty Don's advice. Looks like you've got a good harvest. And lovely to have some last shots of your mum's garden too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been back once more to Mum's house for a final clearance and the views over the moor were some of the best I have ever seen. A fitting (if poignant) farewell.

      Delete
  3. My twins absolute dream would be to grow our own pumpkins...some day. It must be heart wrenching saying goodbye to your mother's garden - it sounds like it will continue on with beautiful memories for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkins are pretty easy to grow so I hope you get to have a go with the twins. I never lived at Mum's house ans she and Dad moved there after I had left home - but I do have lots of memories from there especially with the boys. It was very sad to say goodbye but also exciting to know the house will soon be entering a new phase in its life.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.