Sunday 30 December 2012

Pumpkin anyone?

Posted by Rosie

A quick check of the pumpkin store this morning revealed that quite a few of the pumpkins are not storing and are going mouldy. This does not come as a total surprise but is actually less of a problem than it might at first seem.

I am not surprised that they are going mouldy for 2 reasons.  With the shorter growing season this year many did not have the time to fully ripen.  Add to that the fact that we have had an Autumn/Winter so far of mild, wet weather adds up to poor storage conditions.  BUT, all is not lost.  I had actually grown far to many pumpkins with the excess meant for the pigs as an occasional treat through the bleaker winter months.  Now they will have to be content with a pumpkin feast over the next few days as I chop off all the bad bits and process the good bits for us into all sorts of pumpkin goodies. I suspect I shall hear no porcine objections!

Luckily for us we are a family who likes pumpkins and I have a wide repertoire of pumpkin recipes, many of which can be frozen. Over the next few days I will be making:

All is not lost - pumpkin soup in the making

Pumpkin Soup
Pumpkin Curd
Spiced Pumpkin Cake
Pumpkin Raisin Muffins
Spicy Pumpkin Pasties
Pumpkin Parcels
Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Stew
Pumpkin Purée  



If anyone would like any of the recipes drop a note in the comments section and I'll get it over to you.  In the meantime Happy Halloween ... oops, no I mean Happy New Year!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.