Thursday 27 November 2014

November blooms at Eco-Gites of Lenault

Posted by Rosie

There is something I like more and more as the year progresses from summer through autumn and on into winter.  I like to see flowers every day if possible.  Now whilst I may not complain if someone were to buy me a nice bouquet what I really like to see are flowers in the garden or out and about when walking.  Luckily, with the generally warm and calm autumn we have had this year, our not "very flowery at the best of times" garden is still giving some blooms to see.  They may not have the brightness or scent of a summer rose but I certainly enjoy seeing them for all their tenacity:

Broccoli gone to flower

A pot of Rosemary by the polytunnel door

A Marigold (calendula) in the herb bed
 
Borage and dill with the gite behind

Marjoram
 
A Geranium defying the season

Finally, not a flower, but something I have never seen this late in the year - my autumn raspberries are STILL fruiting.  Admittedly their taste is rather insipid so I am leaving them for the birds to enjoy whilst marvelling at the fact that I have raspberries, that I could eat if I wanted to, as late as the fourth week in November.

November fruiting raspberries

How is your garden looking as we slip ever closer to winter?  Are there any flowers to be seen or are they just a distant memory of yesterday's summer?

Perhaps there will be more flowers over on blogs linking to Annie at Mammasaurus and her How Does Your Garden Grow linky.  Do go and have a nosy over the virtual garden fence ...


Simple Wanderlust

12 comments :

  1. I feel exactly the same as you about flowers - I think it's all about seeing colour for me. I adore borage flowers and our dill looked fantastic when it start going to seed a few weeks ago. One thing I do love about Autumn is the seed heads that appear, they're fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, colour, reminding us that the dark days of winter are not going to last for ever! I think I may have to do a blog post on seed heads sometime soon as like you say, they are fascinating.

      Delete
  2. I'm starting to miss Summers colours now, the joy of leaves turning colour has been replaced by lots of rain and greyness so it's all a tiny bit meh. We do have one sunflower still going in the garden than Ozzy planted way back. It's only a dwarf one but there's yellow petals!
    I love that you have found colour in the garden even now at the end of November. ARGH CHRISTMAS IS COMING AND I AM NOT READY!
    Thanks for joining in again sausage x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's OK - it's not even December yet and all we have done is decide what to get the boys .... ahhhhh and I have just remember I should have made advent calendars by now. Rushes up to loft to see what supplies I have ...

      Delete
  3. We have flowers! Although they aren't nearly as cheerful as your season defying geranium! You are very lucky to have so much going on in your garden - can't believe it will soon be Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - December 1st already. I saw some other geraniums today that were even more in flower than mine. Mad!

      Delete
  4. Very drab and soggy. And flower free. Love how everything is defying the seasons at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soggy and drab here this morning too ... but the flowers are hanging on in there!

      Delete
  5. Wow you still have raspberries! The weather is confusing everything! Lovely to see some flowers x #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Kirsty! I remember a few years ago I was so pleased as I managed to pick a raspberry on November 1st.As soon as it gets light I am of to pick one today and eat it ... on DECEMBER 1st!

      Delete
  6. We really don't have any flowers left... But we do have some interesting berries adding a bit of colour to things :) #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything for colour at this dark time of year is good - flowers and berries are al good to see!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.