Being an expat there are always a few things you miss from home. Take Branston Pickle. Now we can get Branston Pickle when we go back to the UK and we can buy it from the English section of the local supermarket if we are prepared to pay an exorbitant price but really we needed to find something that we liked as much as Branston and also hopefully used some ingredients we often have an excess of. Enter my friend J with her hot chilli courgette pickle recipe. It has a similar texture to Branston and a taste not too unlike it, although quite a bit hotter which we like, and perhaps most importantly, it helps use up the annual courgette glut.
Chilli Courgette Pickle
- 2.7kg/6lb Courgette finely- a mixture of yellow and green courgettes give a nice colour to the pickle
- 85g/3oz salt
- 425g/1lb Onions finely diced
- 3 hot chillies very finely diced with seeds (more if you like things really hot)
- 1litre/2 pts cider vinegar
- 500g/1lb 2 oz dark brown sugar
- 225g/8oz Demerara sugar
- 3tsp Turmeric
- 3tsp dry mustard powder
- 30g/1.5oz cornflour
Makes 6 x 425g/1lb jars
1. Steep courgette in the salt for 3hrs
|Chilli Courgette Pickle ready to pot up|
Leave the pickle for a month to allow the favours to develop and then enjoy!
|Chilli courgette pickle|
Do you have a favourite pickle or courgette recipe? Please do let us know about it if you do. We still have a lot of courgettes to get through!