Wednesday 25 February 2009

Long Time No Blog

Posted by Simon

I have been in the UK for 10 days, five of which I was helping a friend coppicing, as I did last November (see Back Home). As the boys had half term here (2 weeks) I took Tom with me and Sally (my sister) looked after him whilst I worked. We took the ferry over on the 11th February.

For the first day Tom and I caught up with old friends and neighbours and did a few jobs we had to get done. Tom was keen to see the dinosaur bones at the Natural History Museum so on the Friday we caught the train to London then a bus to South Kensington (I know the tube is quicker but Tom wanted to go on the bus). We looked round the dinosaur display and Tom was fascinated but it was not long before interest waned. So after quickly looking at the life size model of the Blue Whale ("that big?") and other animals we headed to the science museum.

Here I 'lost' Tom into his own little world. It was a pleasure to watch as he played and studied his way around the kids zone and Launch Pad. He had a great time watching, playing and learning, but I think his overall favourite was the water section in the 'The Garden'. But all too soon we had to get home and sitting at the front of the top deck on a double decker bus really made his day (I remember the fun of those first bus rides?).

We then went up to Cambridgeshire to stay with Betty, an old family friend, and caught up with her news. Sally met us there to pick up Tom. We all had a lovely time and Betty cooked one of my favourites for Sunday lunch - boiled bacon. On the Sunday I then went off to work for a week whilst Tom had a great time with his Aunt in Derbyshire. He went rock climbing, to the Magna Science Adventure Park and The Heights of Abraham to name but a few activities he did.

After a hard weeks work I met up with Tom and Sally, at another old friend's place, on the Friday evening and stayed over night before getting the ferry back to France last Saturday. The journey made quicker as we met up with a local family we knew and their small boy - so he and Tom played.

Back home and having sorted myself out I'm now carrying on with the boule/play area and preparing another hedge laying course.- but more of these later.

And once again many thanks to everyone who put Tom and I up, fed us and looked after us. It was lovely to see so many friends. Oh, and sorry Jon next time I'll not drag you round so many shops!!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.