Wednesday 19 July 2017

Home made foods > 4. Plastic packaging > 0.


July is Plastic Free July which aims to raise awareness of the problems with single-use disposable plastic and challenges people to do something about it. As part of the challenge one of my aims has been to make more foods that I might otherwise buy and which comes in plastic packaging.  So what have I managed ... 

1. Tortillas Wraps


Not only are these plastic wrapped*, they also contain a shed-load of additives AND palm oil.  This recipe for home-made tortillas from My Make Do and Mend Life popped up in my Facebook timeline and I am please do report that they were easy to make and tasted delicious.

Home made tortillas - A Green and Rosie Life


* I do reuse the plastic bags they come in - they are great for helping to keep lettuces fresh in the fridge and make good string packages for sandwiches and my own home-made bread.  But overall I would rather not have them and he fact the tortillas contain palm oil ensures they are no longer on my shopping list.


2.  Rye Crispbreads


I have been toying with making some sort of savoury cheese biscuits for ages and am pleased to say I finally got round to it this month.  As with the tortillas they were easy and tasted great using this recipe from The Hairy Bikers on the BBC.


3.  Hummus


With tortillas and crispbreads baked we needed something to go with them so Simon quickly made some hummus.  Hummus is hard to find at the best of times in France and I have only ever seen it in plastic pots.  He used this BBC recipe.  Again it was super easy to make and tasted great ... although we did all agree that maybe our garlic cloves were very strong and we'd add fewer next time.

Home made hummus from a Green and Rosie Life


4.  Oat and fruit squares


With 2 hungry teenagers in the house I need something to stop the poor things starving to death.  They would happily munch through plastic wrapped chocolate bars so I needed to bake something new to keep they sustained.  This month that was Oat and Fruit Squares.  The fact there are none left proves they must be as popular as chocolate bars!  I made up the recipe and will blog about it later.

Oat and fruit squares from a Green and Rosie Life


Have you made anything from scratch recently that you can recommend to me?  I'd really love some more easy cracker or crispbread recipes.

2 comments :

  1. Thank you for the great ideas and attention to the awareness that if we cook food that we usually buy , we are cutting down on the plastic. Truthfully, I never thought of that!! I'm going to look at your 100 day plastic reduction challenge! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making hummus and we've tried to make tortillas in the past with varied success. Thanks for sharing on the #WasteLessWednesday blog hop!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.