Saturday 15 November 2014

Autumn Colour in Normandy

Posted by Rosie

When the boys and I were driving round Exmoor a couple of weeks ago the autumn colours were absolutely fabulous.  In comparison at the time, I thought those here in Normandy were a little poor.  Certainly our wild cherry tree that in previous years has been clothed in red and gold was very dull and had dumped it's drab leaves early into Autumn.  However it would seem that Autumn in Normandy this year has not been as disappointing as I had first believed, just a little bit late in coming!  Whilst we can never boast the vibrant reds and and yellows that the maples of parts of North America are so famous for I do think our little patch of France can offer some great autumn colours.  Over the last couple of weeks we have certainly seen these at their best.

The colours remind me of carpet bags and the carpets we had at the farm where I grew up, full of rich hues, warmth and understated loveliness.  Russet, copper, henna, rust, auburn, bronze, cinnamon, ochre, nut, umber and bay are words that spring to mind.







Don't you think they are rather lovely?  Have your autumn colours been full of gentle charm or a riot of bright intensity?  What words would best describe your Autumn?

6 comments :

  1. It looks so beautiful. I do love the colours of autumn x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. As I drove to pick Ben up from rugby this afternoon the colours in the late afternoon sun were stunning ... but I had no camera. I will have to hold them in my memory!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures and colours, looks like your having lovely Autumn weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are getting to see the autumn colours you enjoy, as you say there are so many shades of reds and browns to enjoy at this time of year.
    My description of autumn would be mild in comparison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is the best autumn we have ever had here in France.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.