And here we are with the final instalment of seeing how Tom, now aged 12,has succeeded with the National Trust's list of "50 things to do before you are 11¾". Links to Part One to Three are here, here and here. So far he has managed 31/38. What will his final score be? Let's see:
39. Catch a crab - I have plenty of memories of Tom trying to catch crabs along with plenty of dead ones handed to us on beach days. As for catching a real live one I don't think he has. A NOPE then.
40. Go on a nature walk at night - he has often walked at night and without any street lights here that can be very dark indeed, but he has never done a proper night nature walk so another NOPE.
|Planting out marrows (Tom at back)|
42. Go wild swimming - rather more times than I care to remember - Tom seems to have an affinity for water!
43. Go rafting - he has done plenty of water based things but never gone rafting so another NOPE.
44. Light a fire without matches - and a NOPE here. I am not sure he has even laid and lit the woodburner although Ben often does this.
45. Find your way with a map and compass - he has had a go at orienteering so a yes this time.
|Extreme bouldering at Clécy Via Ferrata|
47. Cook on a campfire - I am only just getting Tom vaguely interested in cooking in a kitchen. He has never cooked on a campfire but does like to be in control of the BBQ when that is lit. I still think that is a NOPE though.
|Just before abseiling back down!|
49. Find a geocache - this is another thing he has never done but something we would like to do this year - he enjoys map reading and a puzzle and there are a few geocahes around here. Still counts as a NOPE though!
50. Canoe down a river - yes. There's a blog about it here!
Right he was on 31. Let me count up:
Drum roll please ..... and Tom's final score is 39/50 .
I think that is a score he can be very proud of. We never set out to complete the list and in fact only first read it about a year ago. However I think it is a good list to try and achieve with a broad enough range of things to do that all ages can get involved. Have you been ticking things off? Do let me know how you are getting on.